Sunday, May 3, 2009

Tres leches cake

Tres leches cake is my favorite cake to make. And with an ingredient list that includes, among other things, sweetened condensed milk, evaporated milk, whipped cream, two kinds of sugar and vanilla and almond extract, it is mighty yummy. (Ignore the fact that that there are about 1000 calories in a two inch square piece of cake.) My dear husband is having a big birthday tomorrow (one that ends in a -0) and, bless his heart, he asked for tres leches cake for his birthday dessert. My recipe for tres leches cake (3 milks--buttermilk, sweetened condensed and evaporated) came from a class I took at Middlebury, which means that the recipe is in Spanish, of course. The original recipe also makes enough cake for about 30 people, so when I make it I have to translate AND do the math necessary to halve the recipe. The final product is SOOO GOOOOOD that it is worth the effort. I'm sitting here wondering if it would be impolite to eat a piece of cake before the birthday guests get here. Probably so.

No comments: