Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Dog days of summer

We're inside right now, trying to stay as far from the 100º+ temperatures.  It's gotten hot enough that I'd like to just give up the actual numbers and say, "Really super hot."

Our efforts to stay cool....
Elsa's first trip to the "real" pool was last week.  We went with Grandpa and all had a good time.  I made Elsa leave after an hour.  She was not pleased--a place that has a pool AND a slide is two year old heaven.

Water days at Elsa's school.  I was "that flaky parent" today and completely forgot to bring a towel, extra clothes and dress Elsa in her swim suit.  She doesn't have spare shoes at school any more because her spare shoes accidentally go brought home one day and they have become her favorite pair of shoes.  I'm afraid of the minor crisis we would have if those shoes weren't at home.  School lent Elsa dry clothes for the day, but I brought a t-shirt from home to change in to before we left (so we didn't have to remember to return the school clothes) and Elsa's teacher said, "I recommend that you don't try to take that shirt off her.  She was VERY EXCITED about getting to put on a new pink t-shirt this morning. I don't think she'll be at all happy about changing her shirt."  Ah yes, my fashion conscious daughter.


I'm trying to get some inside work done.  I was at the gym last week when I saw a nail stuck in my tire.  Derek said that I had "maybe an hour, maybe a week" before the tire was totally flat.  So I skipped my workout (darn) and went to the tire place.  The only place close by was Lowe's, so I killed some time there.  I contemplated perennials (too hot to plant), window coverings (probably need new windows before we need any more window coverings) and paint.  We had a wall that had paint issues.  With a couple of hours to kill in Lowe's and really think (let's face it, I usually go to stores like that with my husband and he sets land speed records when we go into any store) I decided that if I had to paint any way, a red wall would be a nice addition to our home.  So we are now the proud owners of a partially red living room and we love it.



If the hot temperatures continue, we may end up with another red wall, because let's face it, painting feels like so much more of an accomplishment than cleaning.

No comments: