Sunday, March 11, 2012

Beware of content

If you read this post, you will read about poop.  Consider yourself warned and proceed at your own risk.

As we have moved forward with potty training (and we are basically done and have been for several months), we've talked a lot about poop and using the potty.  Early one morning this week, Elsa's first words to me were, "Girls use the potty inside and boys use the potty outside."  I quickly reminded her that Dad uses the potty inside and that Tom goes outside because he is a dog.  I was a little amazed that we had that conversation at about 6:10 in the morning (makes me a little nostalgic for, oh, two months ago when 6:10 in the morning meant that I was drinking coffee and watching the weather report without talking with anyone).

Absolutely our best poop conversation has been when Elsa says, "Pooping makes you tired."  Which struck me as a strange thing for her to say.  And then her dad blamed me for making her say that.  And I was indignant because I'm pretty careful about my language and I don't think she picks up bad things from me.  But he's right.  I have a tendency to say, "I'm pooped" at the end of the day.  Elsa's first reaction was, "Oh no!  You're pooping!" and I explained that another meaning for "pooped" is "tired."  (Why did I do that?  I teach teenagers who sometimes struggle with the idea that words have multiple meanings.  What was I thinking?)  And that is how Elsa has come to say, "Pooping makes you tired."

No comments: