Thursday, July 14, 2016

Vacation in Colorado

We had a great vacation in Colorado with all of Derek's family.  We all drove out in our own cars, did our own thing for a day or so and then met up at our rental house outside Monument, Colorado.


I know that people traveled before ipads and portable DVD players, but I'm not sure how.






We drove into Denver on the 4th. On the 5th, we saw my condo, had coffee with Julie and "took in" Casa Bonita. (It seems wrong to say that we had lunch there, since lunch is the most minor part of the experience.)


We rented a 15 passenger van so that we could travel together.

Wednesday
History Day: Cripple Creek and Mueller State Park

No Derek and Anna because Anna didn't want to be in the photo.











In Cripple Creek, we took our first of two train rides.

Grandpa, Grandma and the grandkids found a few geocaches.


Thursday: Wow Day
The Royal Gorge This was my favorite day. I went to the Royal Gorge years ago and remember being terrified. I could barely walk on the bridge. This time, the walk still scared me, but there was so much good stuff (magic show, picnic area, carrousel) on the far side that the walk was worth it.






Once we crossed, we saw the picnic area. Stacy and I crossed back to get our picnic lunch.











Wow, Mom. 
Friday: Garden of the Gods and Pike's Peak. A few people were feeling under the weather, so the Watsons and Elsa and I went to Garden of the Gods.




We got a quick lunch at the house, picked up Derek, Anna, Carol and Wes and headed to Manitou Springs. Anna sat next to Grandma in the van. Anna talked the whole time. She also talked to Grandma all of the next day. No naps for Grandma on the van!










 Saturday: Horseback riding (Elsa's favorite) and the afternoon in Manitou Springs to play at the arcade that Derek and Dennis remembered from when they were little.











Off the horses and back in the van.






And on Sunday, we drove home.

No comments: