Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Best Birthday EVER!

I had mentally prepared my birthday blog entry--a sort of "Derek and Elsa are the best things that have ever happened to me, I'm old enough to know who my friends are, my job is good (considering that it IS a job), bring on aging" kind of entry. And that is all still true. AND I am completely positive that 37 is SO MUCH BETTER than 27 or 17 (for all of the aforementioned reasons). I had a meeting at work today and had to leave Elsa with both sets of grandparents, so I had prepared myself to enjoy my birthday in a sort of grown up, reflection about getting older kind of way.

But it ended up being a kick ass day. :-)

First, I took Elsa in for her three month pictures. I didn't know about the whole planning ahead, making appointments bit, so I just called the place at the mall this morning to make sure I could get in. We got an appointment, but I don't think it really existed. I got there early and they ran later than my "appointment" time, so Elsa and I ended up sitting in the waiting room for about 45 minutes. She was a rock star. She loved looking at the people and the pictures and generally enjoyed the noise and commotion, so she was a pretty happy baby. When she got to her photo session, she smiled and posed and acted like she had done this all her life. I had a hard time picking photos, but finally narrowed it down. I'm thrilled with them because they look like her. (Consider this your warning. If I see you in the next month or so, you will be forced to look at the pictures of my baby.)

After that it was home to get the first set of grandparents settled in to babysitting. (The second set came in to relieve them while I was gone.) I was off to school for the first meeting of the year. Not much to say about that--it was a meeting. I did, however, enjoy the large number of people there who were willing to ohh and ahh over pictures of my baby.

From the meetings, I went straight to my FOUR HOUR birthday spa package. What did I enjoy the most? The massage, the facial, the aromatherapy steam room, the salt scrub, the twelve jet Swedish shower, the manicure or the pedicure? Oh, it is so hard to say because each was special in its own way.

So thank you to Derek and all the grandparents for making this such a good day for me. I am blessed every day of the year to have you in my life, but this was extra special.

Derek--can I have a steam room at home?

2 comments:

The Nielsens said...

Sounds awesome!

writermom said...

WONDERFUL!! I'm so glad you had a fantastic day! Did you get my e-card? I sent it yesterday...it's in your inbox :) HUGS. p.s. I can't wait to look at pictures of the baby!!